09 August 2010

Shouldn't There Be A Background Check?

I've never thought of this before, but recent news about yet another failure has me wondering if, perhaps, nationally-televised shows should do a bit more research on their contestants first.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand that the restaurant business is a difficult business. An Ohio State University study in 2003 found that roughly 60% of restaurants fail within the first three years, and that number might even be a bit high. So four failed restaurants within a ten year period seems a bit above the average.

Or maybe that's just me.

Still, I think that these reality shows should have some level of responsibility when it comes to vetting potential contestants. They should field the best of the best of whoever is auditioning. And they should look at the whole picture.

Or maybe that's just me, as well.

No comments: