12 August 2010

Must-Have Smartphone Apps For Drivers

Do you own a car? If you live in the D.C. Metro area, the answer is "most likely". Do you drive? If you live in the D.C. Metro area, the answer is also "most likely". Do you own a smartphone? Here the numbers may start dropping off a little.

If you do own a smartphone and you do spend a considerable amount of time behind the wheel of an automobile, you may have wondered to yourself, Self, how can I make this constant commuting easier on myself?

The answer to that rhetoric question is apps! And MSN Autos has done a decent job of rounding up ten smartphone apps that can help you in your quest of better, smarter, safer driving.

I have a couple of the apps on their list and they work pretty well. No one app is going to be the "silver bullet" so you'd want to have two or three of each type then pick and choose as the situation warrants it. (At least that's how I roll.) I'd also recommend to use free apps when you can. It's not that I'm a cheapskate (though I am) but I'm finding that the free apps are quickly closing the functionality gap with the for-pay apps.

Check out their list. Remember that it's not the be-all-end-all of available apps, but it should get you started. Don't be afraid to try out additional apps on your own, especially the free ones. And be safe out there!

No comments: