28 March 2009

More On Barry's Circus

From today's The Washington Post, Barry plans on making a payment of $4,250 on Monday toward his unpaid taxes. He also feels that "federal prosecutors are being unfair in asking a judge to revoke his probation for tax offenses".
"I just wish that the U.S. attorney will tell the truth," Barry said. "They keep saying that I haven't paid my taxes, but I am contributing to my tax bill every month. I take full responsibility for the past, but I have met every condition of my probation as it relates to taxes."

I'm no tax attorney, but I think missing paying last year's taxes isn't quite meeting "every condition". Barry is still whining about the disclosure of the exact amount of his back taxes.
Barry said in a statement Thursday that prosecutors had broken the law by disclosing the specifics of what he owes [...]

That's not an opinion that is universally held.
[...], but they are permitted to do so in criminal cases, especially when they are trying to show a defendant has engaged in a pattern of unlawful behavior.

[...]

Andrew C. White, another former federal prosecutor, said authorities justifiably disclosed Barry's debt to show the seriousness of his offense. "With the budget issues we are facing right now, they are trying to show that this is an absolute affront to hardworking taxpayers," White said.

You broke the law, Mr. Barry. Not once. Not twice. But eight times. Still, you believe that you are the one being unfairly treated. So go ahead and cry us a river, Mr. Barry. You're pretty good at playing the victim. Unfortunately for you, you are also pretty good at being the criminal.

No comments: