15 June 2008

Happy Blogoversary To Me! (Now Where Are My Presents?)

It was exactly one year ago today that The District Diaries sprang from the cyber-primordial soup of the Internet. I wasn't a newbie to blogging. I ran a political-centric blog called The Devil's Advocate for the better part of five years. But writing about politics (local and national) took a major toll on me. I began to lose my faith in humankind. I began to lose my sanity. And so, in the early part of 2007, I shuttered The Devil's Advocate and vowed to never blog again.

As fate would have it, my brother and I were talking during a family get-together in May 2007. We discussed politics and music, as we often do. The conversation shifted to blogging. During that conversation, my brother told me that my unique voice should be shared and that I should get back to blogging ... maybe not about politics exactly, but about something.

I thought long about it. Did I really want to get back to the frequent updates and sharing that comes with blogging? It can be very draining, all this thinking and exposing and writing. I've shared more personal feelings here than I'm known to do, as some people can attest. I've jumped into some controversial topics that left me bruised. There have been times over the past year when I wanted to quit this, too.

In the end, my brother was right. I have a lot to say. I have a lot to share. Some of it has been very serious; some of it, not so much. It's been difficult at times, but I believe this site is helping me to become a better person. And for that I have you, my faithful readers, to thank. You have helped to steer the course of this ship. You have become quite vocal yourselves in the comments, commending me when I'm right and calling me out when I'm wrong.

So whaddya say? Think we can keep this thing going for another year?

I'm game if you are.

1 comment:

Tuffie said...

HAPPY BLOGOVERSARY!

hmmm, i wonder when i started mine

o_O