25 November 2011

Music Video Friday: My Favorite Christmas Special

Once again I am forgoing the usual music video for something different. But not terribly so, because today's offering features music! So there.

This is the 1974 Rankin/Bass stop motion animated television special The Year Without A Santa Claus and it has my all-time favorite siblings performing in two parts one of my favorite holiday tunes. It was the first time that I remember even pondering the notion that there really wasn't a Santa Claus, which was a bit traumatic and prompted my parents to come clean about the whole Kris Kringle thing (I think). My only real negative criticism is the use of "Blue Christmas" in the show ... even at a young age, before I knew it to be one of the most overplayed Christmas tunes ever and an Elvis one to boot, I knew that this song really didn't belong here. Otherwise, this is classic stuff that should be shared with each new generation.

(Oh, and I don't care what you say, this never happened. Are we clear? NEVER HAPPENED!)


No comments: