14 April 2011

Quoth The Raven

I'm a fan of technology. I'm not nearly the technophile I once was. I have neither the time, resources, nor drive to be as deep in the siliconed, wired sea the way I was even 3 years ago. Technical advances are moving too quickly for me to keep up. If I were still working a job that kept me as engaged as my job in Chantilly did, perhaps I'd still be on top(ish) of things. But that's not my life today. Today, I'm engaged enough to have a vague clue about what's going on but not engaged enough to deeply care. All of that said, please re-read the first five words of this paragraph.

With the rise of the iPhone, the various Android appliances (including the Nook), and the Kindle, we are finding more and more of our tomes of knowledge and entertainment put to digital form. Most of the best stuff is public domain and, thus, free. It was only a matter of time before someone sold out in the name of "saving customers a buck or twenty-five".

There is chatter amongst the wired believers that the written word is dead and all things are moving to the digital realm. I hope, for all of our sakes, that they are wrong and that the papered word will be around so long as we can produce paper. Otherwise one day all of our literature shall be as thus.

1 comment:

Tuffie said...

ha ha ha, loves it!!

o_O