20 May 2011

In Memoriam: Randy Poffo

You may not recognize the name, but I guarantee you will instantly recognize the face of one of professional wrestling's most electrifying personalities and product spokesperson extraordinaire.

That life, that voice, that manic energy was suddenly extinguished this morning.
According to the Florida Highway Patrol, Savage was driving his Jeep Wrangler when he veered across a concrete median, through oncoming traffic, and "collided head-on with a tree." He was transported to Largo Medical Center, where he died. Savage's wife of one year, Lynn, was a passenger but sustained only minor injuries, according to TMZ.

Savage's brother, Lanny Poffo told TMZ that the wrestler suffered a heart attack while he was driving and then lost control of the vehicle.
I don't normally write obituaries for celebrities. But Macho Man was a powerful image of my childhood and early adolescence. I remember watching one of the greatest wrestling heroes turned villains on Saturday afternoons. I remember trying to emulate that "Ooooooh yeaaaahhh" of his (and failing miserably). I know a good number of people think that wrestling is silly. Quite frankly, I do too. I also know it's entertainment. And Randy Savage was always excellent at keeping me entertained.

I just hopes he doesn't lay the Diving Elbow Drop on anyone who catches a parting glance of Miss Elizabeth in the afterlife.

No comments: