03 June 2011

Music Video Friday: And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going By Jennifer Husdon And Jennifer Holliday

You may have heard that Jennifer Holliday will be headlining this year's Capital Pride Festival on 12 June. And I think I just heard a few of you ask, Jennifer WHO?

Ms. Holliday is best known for originating the role of Effie White in Dreamgirls back in 1981. Her biggest selling single was one of the signature songs from that show. I think you may have heard of it.

You'd be forgiven if you thought that Jennifer Hudson popularized "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going". She most certainly did give it to us back in 2006, judging by all the awards she won for her show-stealing portrayal of Effie White. But upon seeing and hearing Ms. Holliday perform, one can't help but think that perhaps Ms. Hudson was simply parroting greatness.

And that's not a bad thing, really.

No comments: