30 December 2008

2008 In Review: The King Is Dead! Long Live The King!

2008 will be remembered like the Washington Redskins' season, off to a good start but stumbling miserably toward the end.

It started on a mixed note ... counting down the ending of 2007 at TOWN with someone I love very much, and finishing with me insanely intoxicated and crying incessantly in the drunk tank. (Looking back with that 20/20 vision of hindsight, it really should have been an omen I should have noted for future reference.)

CHANGES: In February, I took over the hosting duties at Cobalt's Sunday Night Karaoke. I had been a patron there for many years. I knew all of the employees and a vast majority of the other patron's. I have a personality that people seem to enjoy and a desire to just have a good time. For those reasons, I was asked by Cobalt management to become the next Karaoke Jockey. And I accepted. It has been a great ride so far and I'm looking forward to growing the evening as we move to Wednesdays in 2009.

April saw the end of my contract at DHS and thus the end of my employment with MicroSys. I landed another job with SecureForce, thanks to a good friend who works there. It's been up and down due to contracts and so forth. Am I glad I'm here? Absolutely. A better group of people one would be hard pressed to find. The owner values his employees and makes that very evident. Here's to growth, both individually and as a company, in 2009.

ALL THE YOUNG DUDES: 2008 introduced some new friends and built on the foundations of friendships begun in 2007. First Brain, Second Brain, The Dunbar Crew, The Shady Thicket Crew, The PA Crew, Cobalt Staff, TOWN Staff, and anyone else who doesn't fall under a nickname ... thank you for being in my life. I'm a much better person for it.

FAME: In July, I won the first ever "This TOWN Has TALENT" talent contest. I sang "Walking In Memphis" by Marc Cohn. It was an absolute blast to do and awoke in me the long-dormant desire to be a recording artist. I created a MySpace Music page where I have already posted two original songs. I plan on pursuing this further in 2009. SHINE ON, YOU CRAZY DIAMOND!

DANCING IN THE STREETS: I spent more time in bars and clubs in 2008 than I can remember having spent in any single year before. While this is all great fun and I have good friends to keep me lubricated, I think I need to curb this a bit in 2009.

ASHES TO ASHES: I was unfortunate to witness firsthand the slow self-destruction of someone dear to me. It has been difficult to watch but I am honestly unable to alter any course other than my own. I know it's not too late. But the reins are firmly in your hands, my friend.

2008 saw the end of the only romantic relationship I've known the past ten years. Is this a permanent thing? I don't know. Like most things in life, this is not completely in my control. We'll see what happens.

"HEROES": All in all, I'll be glad to see 2008 die the death it deserves. Still, with all the ill-will I have towards this past year, I have seen glimpses of light. And so I move forward to 2009 hopeful that all is not lost, that I am not a complete mess, and that some measure of peace will be found.

GOLDEN YEARS: In ending, take my most heart-felt wishes that your new year is better than your old year. And that you remain a part of my life for many more new years to come.

Love, peace, and chicken grease!

No comments: