16 February 2010

Building A Better Bridge (System)

In case you weren't aware, The District highway system is missing a key element -- a direct connection between I-295 and I-395. This lapse in planning has caused many years of traffic-clogged pain to the residents of Wards 6 and 8 as Maryland and Virginia commuters spill over into the neighborhoods in a bid to maneuver around the congestion to get from home to work to home again. Well, my faithful readers, all of that is about to change. DDOT has begun work to build a new 11th Street Bridge system that will right many of the previous wrongs. Jacqueline Dupree of JDLand has more information here on the new bridges being built. I also ran across the following informational video on Barry Farm (Re)mixed) (via DC Metrocentric).



But, Diarist, this is your back yard, this project has been on the books for a while, and work started a couple months ago. Yet you're just now talking about it. What gives?

I feel a bit mixed about this project, to be honest.

Now don't get me wrong ... the current bridge system is a major disservice to the good people of Anacostia. It cuts our direct access to I-295. It separates the foot traffic from our neighborhood to the city west of the river. And, as I stated above, it floods our neighborhoods with commuter traffic. The new bridge system will rectify those shortcomings, in addition to providing for the new streetcar system that The District is also currently work on.

But the new bridge system will take away the direct access to I-395 which we now enjoy. I know this is a minor quibble, but it is an important one, especially for those of us in Anacostia and her sister neighborhoods who work in The Commonwealth. Instead, we will have to do a little neighborhood congesting of our own. And while my logical side agrees that this is a far better solution to the problem, my emotional side is all in a tizzy that I will be inconvenienced a few extra minutes every commute to Virginia.

All that said, I'm glad to see this project finally started. Git 'er dun!

No comments: