07 December 2009

A Christmas Shout Out To My "Old Line State" Peeps

I was born in our nation's capital but I was raised in Southern Maryland. In case you didn't know, Maryland is famous for its blue crabs. And what's the first thing you think of when you think of Maryland blue crabs? That's right ... CHRISTMAS!!!

No, seriously.

Penned and recorded by David DeBoy in the summer of 1981, "Crabs For Christmas" is the story of a department store Santa in Houston, TX who is accosted by a Baltimore man. Now this poor man is so very far away from home and wants nothing more than a pile of steamed crabs and a beer for Christmas.

Touching story, no?

Alright, so it's not the Nativity Story. But it's a funny, catchy tune and probably the only Maryland-themed Christmas song out there. And as someone who grew up where the blue crab is king, this song brings a smile to my face and a warmth to my heart. I hope you enjoy it every bit as much as I do and that it finds its way into your regular Christmas music rotation.

Oh! And if you'd like to purchase your very own copy, you can find the CD on David DeBoy's website. (Sorry, folks. There isn't a purchasable digital download of the song.)

No comments: